Thank you for your interest in joining the YWCA Knoxville & the Tennessee Valley. All current job postings will be listed on this page.
Application instructions: Please submit a completed online application, available here.
In addition, all applicants must submit a cover letter and resume (with references). Applications may be submitted online, in person or mailed to following:
Attention: Shelby Schilling
YWCA Knoxville & the Tennessee Valley
420 West Clinch Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37902
The YWCA is pleased to offer a generous benefits package to all full-time employees, including medical, dental, vision and life coverage, a competitive retirement plan, generous vacation, sick, and holiday time, and loan forgiveness program.
The YWCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and United Way Community Partner.
Domestic Violence Victim Advocate- Knox and Anderson County
The YWCA Knoxville and the Tennessee Valley seeks an energetic, passionate victim advocate focused on domestic violence in the African American population. The successful candidate will have experience in working with women and families in the areas of domestic violence.
The Domestic Violence Advocate will counsel and provide crisis intervention to African American victims in Knox and Anderson County, Tennessee which impacts over 1,500 clients annually. This will include understanding of African American culture, identifying victims’ needs, maintaining confidentiality, insuring the delivery of culturally specific services to victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking.
Minimum educational requirement for this position is Bachelor level education in social work or counseling, or experience equivalent. Familiarity with social service and community action agencies, and customer service delivery programs. Strong writing and communication skills. Ability to work with diverse populations.
The employee benefits package includes medical, dental, vision and life coverage, a competitive retirement plan and generous vacation, sick, and holiday time.
Phyllis Wheatley Center After School Enrichment Counselor
This position works in our After School Enrichment Program for middle-school-age youth which is located at our Phyllis Wheatley Center. The YWCA seeks high quality, professional role-models with diverse skill-sets to provide individualized attention to students’ needs. We are looking for staff who are truly passionate about impacting the lives of young people and who are supportive and engaging.
Part-time: Monday-Friday after-school hours 2:00-7:00pm
Rate: $10.25 per hour
- Providing a safe and secure environment;
- Planning, challenging, enriching, age-appropriate activities;
- Provide communication and conflict resolution;
- Interacted positively with middle school age children
- Accurately maintain and present necessary statistical data as required;
- Demonstrates a passion for sports and fitness
- Builds connections with students and demonstrates the usefulness of content and builds confidence based on accomplishment
- Other duties as assigned.
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent; associate’s degree, preferred. Must be willing to be certified in First Aid and CPR for adults and children, have a physical examination and a criminal background check. Must have experience working with youth or participation in youth-related clubs, classes or programs and must possess effective human relations skills; must be highly-motivated, enthusiastic and creative.
Phyllis Wheatley Center: Front Desk Clerk
Under general supervision of the Director of the Phyllis Wheatley Center, this part-time position is responsible for front desk customer service, assisting YWCA members, clients and the first-line point of contact for the center. Provides administrative support services to the agency administration. We seek high quality, professional role-models with diverse skill-sets to provide individualized attention to students’ needs. We are looking for staff who are truly passionate about impacting the lives of young people and who are supportive and engaging.
Part-time: Monday-Friday 2:00pm-7:00pm
Salary: based on experience
Duties and Responsibilities :
- Using the knowledge of YWCA programs and policies, promotes association and mission statement in the community. Interacts with other program personnel and volunteers to meet the needs of all YWCA members and participants.
- Assist guests of the organization
- Monitors attendance log
- Accepts payments and records receipts.
- Maintains security of the building by remaining alert to who is in the building, conducting regular rounds, and what is going on through communication with supervisor
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job requires ability to multi-task and a great attitude. Requires strong attention to detail, excellent judgment and the ability to work without close supervision. A minimum of a high school diploma and relevant experience.
PRN Front Desk Receptionist
YWCA Knoxville & the Tennessee Valley seeks a PRN receptionist. Responsibilities include; providing excellent customer service, community referrals, assistance to program directors and being able to multi-task. A GREAT ATTITUDE is required. Will need help as needed and over holidays including: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s. This is a part-time position with the opportunity for advancement.
Under general supervision of the Health and Fitness Director. Lifeguards pool for aquatic classes, open swim and swimming lessons for the YWCA Club W. Has strong knowledge and experience in lifeguarding. Work outside of facility as a Club W ambassador.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Using the knowledge of YWCA programs and policies, promotes Association and Mission Statement in the community. Interacts with other program personnel, volunteers, and staff to meet the needs of all YWCA members and participants. Participates in Association activities as necessary.
- Accepts pool responsibility and attends mandatory trainings put forth by the Health and Fitness Director.
- Listens to clients, instructors and community to assist in the Club W development.
- Responsible for staying up-to-date with all certifications, especially CPR. Carries proof of CPR training at all times.
- Will work with the YWCA to ensure that the pool facility is clean and safe.
- Follows the YWCA policies and procedures in a case of an injury. The instructor/lifeguard will complete an incident report, available at the front desk.
- Promote memberships, awareness of programs and class offerings.
- Must be cognizant of emergency exits, fire extinguisher and telephone in case of emergency.
- Will notify the director two weeks in advance for planned absences. If you are ill, please call a substitute to cover your shift.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Other duties, as assigned.
A high school diploma with lifeguard certification required. Should have paid or volunteer experience in life-guarding and be over the age of 16. Requires skills and life experiences that indicate sensitivity to health related issues and low-income individuals. Must be reliable and come with good references. Requires possession of organizational, communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.