Thank you for your interest in joining the YWCA Knoxville & the Tennessee Valley. All current job postings will be listed on this page.
Application instructions: Please submit a completed online application, available here.
In addition, all applicants must submit a cover letter and resume (with references). Applications may be submitted online, in person or mailed to following:
Attention: Shelby Schilling
YWCA Knoxville & the Tennessee Valley
420 West Clinch Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37902
The YWCA is pleased to offer a generous benefits package to all full-time employees, including medical, dental, vision and life coverage, a competitive retirement plan, generous vacation, sick, and holiday time, and loan forgiveness program.
The YWCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and United Way Community Partner.
General Maintenance Technician
Under the general supervision of the Director of Business Operations, this full-time position is responsible for performing minor and some major building repairs, cleaning, facility set-up and preventive maintenance of a 90-year-old YWCA building in downtown Knoxville. This position is also responsible for performing maintenance at the YWCA in Oak Ridge (approximately once a week and/or as needed) and assisting with maintenance at the Phyllis Wheatley Center building. This position reports to the Director of Business Operations.
- Develops, maintains and implements a routine maintenance schedule.
- Performs minor and major repairs to buildings, furnishings and equipment.
- Performs preventive maintenance procedures on buildings’ mechanical equipment on a scheduled basis.
- Reviews and prioritizes work orders daily.
- Repairs and replaces light fixtures and other fixtures, as needed.
- Paints, plasters and repairs walls in residential rooms and other areas of the building, as needed.
- Replaces broken windows; repairs doors, door locks and closets; installs window blinds and curtains.
- Provides minor repairs to toilets, sinks, showers and bathtubs and other plumbing fixtures.
- Works with vendors to assures work is completed timely and thorough.
- Cleans the swimming pool areas and maintains the swimming pool in coordinator with the swimming pool staff.
- Responds to emergency maintenance requests when needed.
- Provides general cleaning in common areas and preps resident rooms for cleaning company.
- Purchases equipment needed to complete jobs with prior approval of the Director of Business Operations or CEO.
- Obtains estimates for supplies, repairs and parts, as needed.
- Works with vendors to obtain bids and review bids with Director of Business Operations or CEO.
- Maintains confidentiality of client and proprietary information.
- Sets up tables and other equipment for meetings.
- Be available on-call for questions after hours and on weekends. May occasionally be required to come in after hours to assess a maintenance situation/problem.
- Provides maintenance to the YWCA Oak Ridge building site.
- Provides maintenance and consultation to the YWCA Phyllis Wheatley Center site as needed.
- Maintains CPR and First Aid
- Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands or finger; handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl; and talk; or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 75 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
A high school degree and related experience, preferred. Must have a “people first” attitude and possess the ability to work within time constraints, and efficiently as a part of the YWCA team. Must be committed to the mission of the YWCA.
Development Associate: Part-Time
Under supervision of the Director of Development, the Development Associate is a part-time position responsible for processing gifts, donor acknowledgements, data entry, and special events support.
Using the knowledge of YWCA programs and policies, promotes the YWCA Knoxville and the Tennessee Valley’s mission in the community and interacts with other YWCA personnel, volunteers, and staff to meet the goals of the program. Participates in YWCA activities, as required.
- Gift processing: daily entry and tracking of all gifts, sponsorships, in-kind gifts, and event tickets into Kindful Donor Database.
- Track and generate pledge payment reminders, pledge payments, and other communications as needed.
- Manage and process credit card payments for gifts and event tickets.
- Assist in preparing and generating daily and/or weekly reports from Kindful Donor Database.
- Ensures timely acknowledgement of all gifts, in consultation with Director of Development.
- Supports fundraising and cultivation special events, including coordination of event logistics, and attending and assisting at all special events.
- Supports Director of Public Relations with social media scheduling, social media content creation, website updates, and other duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by CEO and/or Director of Development.
- Associate’s Degree required.
- Excellent computer proficiency required, including proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to accurately manage donor information and create reports using Kindful Donor Database. Experience working with donor database strongly preferred.
- Ability to handle confidential information in an ethical manner and to ensure donor privacy.
- Detail oriented, with strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities.
Domestic Violence Victim Advocate- Knoxville Family Justice Center
The YWCA Knoxville seeks an energetic, passionate victim advocate focused on domestic violence and providing services at the Knoxville Family Justice Center. The successful candidate will have social service experience in working with clients in the area of domestic violence and community resources in Knox County.
The Domestic Violence Advocate will counsel and provide crisis intervention to victims in Knox County, Tennessee which impacts over 1,500 clients annually. This will include understanding of culture, identifying victims’ needs, maintaining confidentiality, insuring the delivery of services to victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking. The advocate will provide services at the Knoxville Family Justice Center.
- Minimum educational requirement for this position is Bachelor level education in social work or counseling, or experience equivalent.
- Familiarity with social service and community action agencies, and customer service delivery programs.
- Must possess strong writing and communication skills and the ability to work with diverse populations.
After-School Enrichment Counselor- Phyllis Wheatley Center
This position works in our After-School Enrichment Program (ASEP) for middle-school-age youth, located at the YWCA Phyllis Wheatley Center (124 S. Cruze Street). We seek high quality, professional role-models with diverse skill-sets to provide individualized attention to student’s needs. We are looking for staff who are truly passionate about impacting the lives of young people in a supportive and engaging environment.
This position is part-time, Monday- Friday; after-school/evening hours
- Providing a safe and secure environment;
- Planning, challenging, enriching, age-appropriate activities;
- Mentoring and tutoring;
- Accurately maintain and present necessary statistical data as required;
- Provide daily homework assistance to students;
- Demonstrates a passion for learning;
- Provide application and practice for school day skills and knowledge in a way that strengthens learning;
- Builds connections with students and demonstrates the usefulness of content and builds confidence based on accomplishment;
- Enhances learning with the kinds of experiences that the school day has less time to provide;
- Other duties as assigned.
Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent; associates degree, preferred. Must be willing to be certified in First Aid and CPR for adults and children, have a physical examination and a criminal background check. Must have experience working with youth or participation in youth-related clubs, classes or programs and must possess effective human relations skills; must be highly-motivated, enthusiastic and creative.
Phyllis Wheatley Center Night/Weekend Rental Coordinator
Under general supervision of the Director of the Phyllis Wheatley Center, is responsible for managing rental agreements and providing excellent customer service. This position is part-time and on nights and weekends.
- Provides a safe and secure environment for facility patrons and/or clients
- Ensure appropriate use of facilities
- Assisting patrons and/or clients with general needs while utilizing the facility
- Cleaning and/or building maintenance
- Administrative tasks
- Other duties as assigned.
Under general supervision of the Health and Fitness Director. Lifeguards pool for aquatic classes, open swim and swimming lessons for the YWCA Club W. Has strong knowledge and experience in lifeguarding. Work outside of facility as a Club W ambassador.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Using the knowledge of YWCA programs and policies, promotes Association and Mission Statement in the community. Interacts with other program personnel, volunteers, and staff to meet the needs of all YWCA members and participants. Participates in Association activities as necessary.
- Accepts pool responsibility and attends mandatory trainings put forth by the Health and Fitness Director.
- Listens to clients, instructors and community to assist in the Club W development.
- Responsible for staying up-to-date with all certifications, especially CPR. Carries proof of CPR training at all times.
- Will work with the YWCA to ensure that the pool facility is clean and safe.
- Follows the YWCA policies and procedures in a case of an injury. The instructor/lifeguard will complete an incident report, available at the front desk.
- Promote memberships, awareness of programs and class offerings.
- Must be cognizant of emergency exits, fire extinguisher and telephone in case of emergency.
- Will notify the director two weeks in advance for planned absences. If you are ill, please call a substitute to cover your shift.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Other duties, as assigned.
A high school diploma with lifeguard certification required. Should have paid or volunteer experience in life-guarding and be over the age of 16. Requires skills and life experiences that indicate sensitivity to health related issues and low-income individuals. Must be reliable and come with good references. Requires possession of organizational, communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.